[TriLUG] Computer Configuration

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Wed May 1 12:49:24 EDT 2002

Avui, Dimecres 01 Maig 2002 11:01, no tenieu res mes que fer i me vareu enviar
aquest e-mail
> Thanks for the additional information that came across last night. Thanks
> also for being so friendly and helpful. You all have made me feel more
> comfortable in this group and more inclined to come to Installfest :)

Sure. No problem.

> Sinner - I checked out your web site and looked at your Linux screen shots
> just to see what I'm getting myself into. Now I'm getting excited! It
> wasn't what I was expecting at all. Mostly I think I've heard those lies
> about Linux being like DOS or all command-line based.

Today, you can use Linux without seeing the command line. The latest Red Hats,
Mandrakes and SuSEs lets you do all this.

And Linux can really look good, as you've seen on the screenshots. At the
installfest, I can shjow you how to use Linux to mimic the look'n'feel of a
Windows or MacOS machine. This way, you are not lost at all.

> I have a second computer that I have setup for testing (designs in
> different browsers and to also test new programs). From what I've read here
> I think it would be good to make that one my Linux box. I haven't fully
> decided whether to wipe out Windows and go totally Linux or buy a second
> hard drive.

MEanwhile you are learning, keep your Windows to be productive. IF you can,
add a second hard disk. It is easier to work this way. And you can always
wipe out Windows and add that space to Linux, whenever ou are ready to do so.

> The basic specs are PII, 128MB RAM, 6GB HD, and currently
> running Win98. I have 4GB of free space, so I could do multiple partitions,
> but if I can do my testing as you all have suggested - then I'm not opposed
> to wiping out the whole thing for Linux :)

Sounds like a good PC for Linux.

> Once I get used to it - who knows. I may go back and wipe out my other
> computer too :) I'm really *not* attached to Windows just don't know any
> better yet! BTW, I use Eudora for email now - is there something comparable
> for Linux? I really don't like Outlook ...

You can actualy run Eudora on Linux though Wine. I use Kmail There's also
Sylpheed, as well as Netscape's mail client. Check them all while you learn
Linux and use the one that you like the most. You know better than us what
*you* like.

> Well - off to do some reading. Thanks again everyone for the warm welcome
> and information!!
> Lisa Boyd

Sure. See you next TriLug meeting as well as at the InstallFest

Salut,
Sinner
--
RedHat QA Test Engineer  --  Running RedHat 7.3beta on i386smp
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/