[TriLUG] Computer Configuration

Lisa C. Boyd lisa at ptdesigns.biz
Wed May 1 14:19:55 EDT 2002

>And Linux can really look good, as you've seen on the screenshots. At the
>installfest, I can shjow you how to use Linux to mimic the look'n'feel of a
>Windows or MacOS machine. This way, you are not lost at all.

I do like to customize the look of things so help in this area would be
greatly appreciated too :)

>MEanwhile you are learning, keep your Windows to be productive. IF you can,
>add a second hard disk. It is easier to work this way. And you can always
>wipe out Windows and add that space to Linux, whenever ou are ready to do so.

The machine I'm going to bring is not my primary production machine so I
think I'll just wipe the whole thing and load Linux. I have a ghost image
of the Win stuff if I need to go back for some reason. I don't use the
machine all that much - probably won't be able to stay off of it with Linux
on there <vbg>

>You can actualy run Eudora on Linux though Wine. I use Kmail There's also
>Sylpheed, as well as Netscape's mail client. Check them all while you learn
>Linux and use the one that you like the most. You know better than us what
>*you* like.

I'm sure I'll be checking out everything - with help from the group so I
don't kill something. Just getting excited and a little ahead of myself -
got to get the OS on there first!

>Sure. See you next TriLug meeting as well as at the InstallFest

Unfortunately I can't make it to the meeting on Thursday, but I'm a
definite for the Installfest. Can't say enough thanks to everyone. I hope
to one day be able to contribute more than take but I guess everyone's got
to start somewhere :)

Lisa Boyd