[TriLUG] installfest server - something's got to give

Mark Johnson mrj at debian.org
Wed May 1 14:19:15 EDT 2002

On Wednesday, May 1, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
> Avui, Dimecres 01 Maig 2002 14:06, no tenieu res mes que fer i me vareu enviar
> aquest e-mail
> > I have a friend who recommends Debian over Redhat. I'm just beginning to
> > read up on this, but is there a site out there that compares different
> > installs?? My friend did say that Debian is a little harder to set up but
> > it looks like you guys have that covered.
>
> Then, use Mandrake: a Red Hat Linux, oriented to Desktop use, and with many
> Debian-like features

Huh?

Mandrake & Debian are universes apart.

rpms vs. debs, apt vs yup/apt-rpm (whatever it's called) -- giant
difference here.

And the SGML/XML setups are completely different. This matters if you
wanna do, say, docbook. (OTOH, they'll soon merge under LSB-XML/SGML,
but that's another story.)

Note that I'm _not_ claiming one is better than the other. I'm only
pointing out that they're far more different than they are similar.

Cheers,
Mark
Mark Johnson        <mark at duke.edu>
Debian SGML         <mrj at debian.org>
Home Page:          <http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/>
GPG fp: 50DF A22D 5119 3485 E9E4  89B2 BCBC B2C8 2BE2 FE81