[TriLUG] Server vs. workstation setup?

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Thu May 2 09:34:26 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-02 at 09:08, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:
> I've heard some of you talk about having a server setup and a workstation
> setup. Is there a major difference? Or is it like running different
> software at different times? Can one machine be both or does that depend on
> the machine?

This is going to vary WIDELY, depending on what your machine is being
used for.

The terms "server" and "workstation" have been blurred by Micro$oft
logic IMHO.  Under Linux it is quite common (the norm actually) for all
machines to be running one or more server-type daemons.  It's also
pretty common for server room machines to have a nice pretty GUI.

A workstation can run server applications.  A server can run workstation
applications.  It's not all as simple as that.  The primary role of the
system ("server" or "workstation") will often dictate what proportion of
server software is running, or how the disk drives are partitioned, or
the machine's physical placement in your building.  A "server" will
usually also use more robust and redundant hardware than a
"workstation".  Though a "workstation" may have benefits with regards to
the display, sound, and other areas.

Sorry I didn't give you a clear cut answer, but there really isn't one.