[TriLUG] An easy one...

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Thu May 2 14:35:30 EDT 2002

CJK writes:
> OK, here's a question that has been tickling at the back of my head for some
> time.
>
> How do you change the hostname of a computer, permanently, from the
> command-line?  I know how to do it from the GUI, but how do you do it from
> the console?

Use vi (or your personal favorite text editor).  If you are working
on a Redhat system edit the file /etc/sysconfig/network.  It should
be obvious which line to change.

At this point stop and start (or restart) some of the init scripts in
/etc/rc.d/init.d (again if you are on a Redhat system).  Other systems
put things in slightly different places.  If worse comes to worse 'grep'
around in etc to find which files have that information.

> See, wasn't that horribly easy?

Yes

> Don't you think less of me now?

No.  It is was a good question.  One of the strengths of Unix is that
the configuration of the system is done with text files; so no MS type
'Registry' crap to deal with.  If you ever need to modify a system,
all you need is a text editor and little knowledge, no special utilties
required.  Nice thing to know if your X11 configuration ever gets hosed.

Good Luck,

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html