[TriLUG] Preparing for the Installfest

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Fri May 3 10:01:17 EDT 2002

Well I have a Dell Latitude C600 that is dual boot Mandrake 8.2 and Windows
2000 (for work).  I had no problems installing.  I installed to Win2K
first, and then Linux.  I used GRUB which had no problem booting Windows
when I chose to.  To be safe though I still followed your process of
creating a boot file for the NT bootloader.  So now my laptop boots to the
NT boot loader, I choose Linux and go to the GRUB boot loader (which if I
want I could select NT again and go back to the NT bootloader).  Works very
nice.

I believe when I first tried it I had GRUB handle the initial boot
sequence.  The biggest thing for my dell laptop was that if I wanted
save-to-disk to work I had to make sure not to install GRUB to the MBR.  I
installed GRUB on the /boot partition.  The APM save-to-disk works by
switching the bootable partition from the partition you suspend from to the
partition that has the save-to-disk image, and then back again.  Too make
either the NTloader or GRUB handle the initial boot I simply used FDISK to
set the active partition to either win2k or /boot.  Then used either GRUB
or NTloader to go between the two OS's at boot.

-David