[TriLUG] Understanding output of "free"

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Fri May 3 11:46:22 EDT 2002

The buffers are reclaimable by new memory requests -- they're stored in
buffers rather than cleared because:

- Clearing memory takes processing time; and
- The kernel makes an assumption that a recently-used program is more
likely to be asked for again than is a non-recently-used program.

Therefore it makes sense to keep the information in RAM, but not reserved,
until the memory is needed (or the same information is "reloaded").

Corrections welcome.

ap

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu