Static IP (was Re: [TriLUG] Hopefully not so easy...)

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri May 3 12:36:05 EDT 2002

John F Davis wrote:
> Ok. let me see, $600/$50hr = 12 hours.  (I'm assuming we all make at least
> $50 an hour.  Or, our time is worth $50 an hour.  Considering we are all
> engineers or admins of some sort, that's probably not that far fetched.)
> So, if you spend more than 12 hours fiddling with your setup you are
> wasting your time and money.  I figure Chris spent more than a day or two
> fiddling with his setup.  Probably even called the help desk at his ISP and
> set on hold for a bit as well.

Don't forget to add in the hours spend getting things
working when you _do_ spend the money for the commercial
service with static IP...depending on which story you
hear, you could spend 12 hours just getting DSL installed
and working.  As they say: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".
Changing ISPs can be a real PITA.

FWIW, I got dynamic IP up and running (via dns2go) in
2-3 hours.

--
Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com