[TriLUG] CD-R @ Installfest

M. Mueller mmueller at signalnetware.com
Sat May 4 08:11:26 EDT 2002

On Friday 03 May 2002 01:59 pm, you wrote:

> Do you have debian CD's?  If so, I can help you if you wish.  I wasn't
> planning on coming to the install fest, but I will if you specifically need
> help with Debian.

Several points on Debian:
1) I am downloading Debian CDs but server performance around the globe varies
like the NASDAQ
2) I have Potato CD 1 and 2 burned for sparc and that's where I'll leave it
at that for now; you can get running with those 2 CDs and with a net
connection you'll be able to update/upgrade and install other packages using
dselect.
3) I've got Potato CD 1 for i386 burned.  Looking forward to my workload next
week and considering recent server performance, I'll probably be able to burn
the CD set for either Potato or Woody but not both.
4) Server performace forecasters are predicting a sharp decrease in
performance in the very near future.  If this prediction proves true, then I
may not be able to get the full Potato/Woody CD set.
5)  You can load Debian from CD 1 and the net.  Using a debian-only mirror
might make this a tolerable experience at the Installfest.

Having said all that, it appears that I should download Woody CD1 next.  That
way I'll have 3 versions of CD 1 which will make initial loading very quick,
and assuming there is a net connection at the Installfest, then ramainder of
the install can come from a debian mirror.  Any remaining time will be spent
harvesting the remaind CDs.

--
Michael Mueller
Signalnetware, Inc.