[TriLUG] Red Hat 7.3 - pricing & alternatives

Michael Alan Dorman mdorman at debian.org
Tue May 7 09:55:02 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 08:54, John F Davis wrote:
> As for myself, I use Debian and I don't pay for updates.  Which is a good
> thing, because I update (apt-get upgrade) everyday.

Of course, the flip side of that is that you're (I guess that should
be we're) dependent on donated services.  There's a cost in there
still, we just spread it out, in part to people who may or may not
realize that they're paying it (other users of academic networks, for
instance).

I have sort of a personal policy that if I install more than three
Debian boxes somewhere, I will make sure there's a squid server on one
of them to cache apt accesses and lower the load on the mirrors as
much as possible.

Mike.