[TriLUG] Basic Security Question

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Thu May 9 11:53:35 EDT 2002

Hello

That's how RedHat got the nick name RootHack.  However, they have much
improved since.

JD

"Lisa C. Boyd" <lcboyd at nc.rr.com>@trilug.org on 05/09/2002 10:25:38 AM

Please respond to trilug at trilug.org

Sent by:    trilug-admin at trilug.org

To:    trilug at trilug.org
cc:
Subject:    [TriLUG] Basic Security Question

Three years ago (yeah - I know - an eternity in software time), I went to a
seminar/conference about Linux. The speaker was talking about how Linux
installs left a lot of open doors that are major security risks. Doors that
have to be closed by the user and that most student users never realize
that they need to close those doors. This was at a time when there were a
lot of problems on the network due to students not configuring their
computers correctly.

So - is this true for installations nowadays? And if so, ya'll will help me
Saturday close all those doors right? ;)

Lisa B.