[TriLUG] Need to move IDE drive

Jeremy P jeremyp at pobox.com
Tue May 14 14:19:05 EDT 2002

On Tue, 14 May 2002, Kevin Hunter wrote:

> I need to move the drive I have linux installed on from the master on
> my 2ndary IDE to the slave on my primary ( hdc to hda ).

The slave on the primary is hdb, so I think you meant to say "hdc to
hdb" -- is that correct?

> I tried
> changing the "hd$" references in lilo and fstab, but that doesn't do
> the trick b/c I get an error when I do my "/sbin/lilo -v".

On what drive is LILO installed?  What error are you getting?
If LILO is on the primary master, then make sure the boot= line still says
/dev/hda.

If LILO is installed on your Linux drive, you'll need the boot= drive to
read /dev/hdb (the destination location), but you'll need to tell LILO to
install itself on hdc, since the Linux drive is currently at hdc (I'm
assuming).  Do this with the "-b" option to override the boot= line
(see man lilo).  For example,
	/sbin/lilo -v -b /dev/hdc

Then, when you actually move the drive to hdb, both the LILO installation
and the LILO config file will be correct.

Hope this helps,
Jeremy