[TriLUG] Another Installfest?

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Tue May 14 15:05:33 EDT 2002

Warning : I'm about to say some things that might offend one or more
people. Grit your teeth, read the whole message, and if you *STILL* feel
like blasting me for it, please do so off list.

FYI - I'm mostly saying this as *ME* and not a member of the SC. OK?

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 14:41, Sinner from the Prairy wrote:
> What do you think about an Installfest specialy directed to the Asian
> community in the Triangle? Y'all know about Red Flag Linux, Hancom office and
> other GNU/Linux/OpenSource initiatives in Asia.

Personally, I think we should help people of any race, creed, or belief
system at the installfest. If they happen to want to install one of the
Asian distros, more power to them, and I/we will gladly help.

However, having an installfest for a particular Ethnic, Racial,
Religious or etc. group falls into the anti-discriminatory clauses of
the AoI and against my personal beliefs. We're all Linux users here,
regardless of national or ethnic origin, right?

If we went through with this suggestion, would we then have a
African-American installfest? How about a Latino installfest? How about
an installfest aimed at the homosexual community? A Catholic
installfest? A women's installfest?

I'm sure we've had members from all of these groups attend our meetings
- should we have an installfest targeted at their demographic? And hey,
maybe there are people out there that aren't happy with one of the
previously mentioned groups - how would a "targeted" installfest affect
their viewing of TriLUG and the linux community as a whole?

> If his goes OK, we can start to have schools and "theme" installfests.

I'm not against this idea, though. if a group asks for our help in
throwing an installfest, I'm all for it. However, I will not accept
unless *ANYONE* who wants to come in and install Linux can do so.

That being said, how about we do our next installfest in August? That's
about three months from now, and would be right on time for the third
quarter. How about we do it at UNC (if they are willing to host us) and
help *ANYONE* who shows up install whatever distro they want.

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"I will rule you all with an Iron Fist! You! Obey the fist!" - Zim