[TriLUG] Another Installfest? (long)

Kevin - The Alchemist - Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Tue May 14 19:10:14 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-14 at 17:56, Lisa Lorenzin wrote:
> i'm keeping this on-list because a) i'm not flaming kevin, and b) i think
> this is something we should consider as a group, since i actually see it
> as a great opportunity to expand our outreach.  flames off-list, debate
> on, please... :)

+1. I've also trained myself to look for possible "hotspots" in
suggestions, and so I sometimes read in negatiity where there is none
intended. I am, after all, trying to keep the group out of hot water -
real or perceived *grin*

> absolutely.  and since we don't always have the asian distros/packages on
> hand, it makes sense to have a subfocus within an installfest so that a
> minority group with unusual needs can know for sure that we'll have what
> they need if they do come out.

+1

> absolutely.  and if we have a chinese-focussed installfest, there's no
> reason whatsoever that a martian couldn't walk in and get linux installed,
> too (and i wouldn't be at all surprised if the redhat distro had a
> martian-language install option, too).

I haven't seen martian. Maybe we can get back Redneck and ask them to
add Klingon for the next release *grin*

> sure!  i'm not kidding - i actually think that's a good idea.  not an
> installfest LIMITED to a subgroup, but an installfest ORIENTED towards a
> subgroup (while still welcoming anyone else who wants to show up).

*snip*

> frankly, i think if we did a range of "targeted" installfests that covered
> a variety of minority groups / groups not usually immediately associated
> with linux users, it would demonstrate that trilug and the linux community
> are inclusive and reaching out to all kinds of people.  let's do it.

*thinks hard* OK, while I've warmed up to the idea, we'll have to be
careful to avoid ambiguities when writing the press release, or letting,
say a media outlet edit our release down to "acceptable size" (as has
happened once or twice with announcements we've sent to the N&O).

Because as we've seen - a misplaced work can convey a wide range of
different meanings different people *grin*

> and yes, i'll put my time where my mouth is.  sinner seems to have
> volunteered for the august installfest, but i'd be happy to help with the
> organizing, too...

That's two...*grin*

> who knows?  it could suck.  but that's no reason not to give it a try.

+1

--      Kevin "The Alchemist" Sonney      --
--  ICQ: 4855069            AIM: ksonney  --
320C 0336 3BC4 13EC 4AEC  6AF2 525F CED7 7BB6 12C9

"I will rule you all with an Iron Fist! You! Obey the fist!" - Zim