[TriLUG] Promotions for Installfests

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Wed May 15 13:05:34 EDT 2002

J Johnson wrote:
> One suggestion though. Stay away form bashing Windows when trying to
> interest someone in Linux.

I must agree here.  Linux must sell itself.  Windows bashing is
a _big_ turnoff to many people.  Linux is mature enough to
stand on it's own merits.  People who _want_ to bash Windows have
probably already switched to Linux.  Besides, people don't like
to be told "What you have sucks!".

> pre-SP4. But as someone that used Windows NT every day, I very rarely had
> any stability issues with my machine. I'm not trying to initiate a war on
Using Win2k on my Thinkpad is very stable.  I thinkI've only had two
crashes in the 4 months since switching back to Windows.  Except for
crashes related to sleep/hibernate or other APM functions.
Incidentally Linux was _much_ worse in this area (nearly weekly
crashes).  This is not the fault of Linux, of course - IBM obviously
puts much more effort into supporting Windows than Linux - and
APM functions are notoriously hard to support.

> ears. Ed did a good job of asking questions like 'Why should a file name be
> in 8.3 format?" I'd never thought of that before, and when he posed the
> question, it did strike me as 'yea, that is pretty damn ignorant.' I guess

You can add to the list:
"Why must Windows be rebooted after installing every application?"

After using Linux for a year, I had forgotten how much that
aggravated me...now that I have to use Windows again...it
annoys me even more than it did before :(

Chris Merrill
cmerrill at nc.rr.com