[TriLUG] snmp under linux ... examples?

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Wed May 15 14:51:35 EDT 2002

Thunder Bear [thunderbear at yonderway.com] wrote:
> Anyone care to share their snmpd.conf and snmptrapd.conf files?
> (sanitized community names of course)

Here's one I have for UCD-SNMP (assuming that's what you're using):

com2sec mynetwork 192.168.0.0/24 public

group MyROGroup v1         mynetwork
group MyROGroup v2c        mynetwork
group MyROGroup usm        mynetwork

view all    included  .1                               80

access MyROGroup ""      any       noauth    exact  all    none   none

syslocation Computer room.
syscontact Mike Johnson <mike at enoch.org>

The snmpd.conf that came with UCD-SNMP was well commented.  I've
included the settings that I set.  I forget what the 'view all' string
was for, though.  I imagine it was in there and I just let it go.

Basically, you set a network and assigne a comunnity string, create
some groups (you only really need v1), you say what can be viewed, and
you set the normal settings (syslocation and syscontact are awful
common).

If it's working, you can then do 'snmpwalk <host> public'.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost