[TriLUG] new linux user questions > maybe pre-installfest?

Lisa C. Boyd lcboyd at nc.rr.com
Wed May 15 15:09:41 EDT 2002

Kim wrote:
>Hi.  Somebody was hoping to do schpiels to schools about linux.  If we
>can swipe their notes and do a linux talk before an installfest then newbies
>and non-linux users can get to hear why linux is such a good idea, see
>some demo of a linux box doing the same stuff they'd be doing on some Win
>box, and then watch to see how much fun it is to take their computer to
>an installfest and let some TriLUG guru install it.

I was just getting ready to send another message similar to this :) Great
minds ... Anyway, I know that several people on the list have been talking
about helping out schools. I think you could do a special talk/demo of
Linux and target teachers, school administrators as well as systems
administrators. We could show them the benefits (the free one being a big
one with the budget crisis) and then arrange something with the schools so
that Linux gurus could help change them over if they were willing to!

>Ex: Linux talk/demo 10am or 11am to noon, have munchies, do installfest in
>afternoon

An intro to Linux would've been helpful before the Installfest IMHO,
although Mike was nice enough to sit with me most of the afternoon showing
me some of the basics (ie differences between Gnome and KDE, how to check
out both, etc.). This could possibly be different from the type of talk
that you'd give to try and convince them to switch. Afterall if you have
someone there and convince them to switch, they'd still have to bring their
computer in and such. So maybe two different talks - one to convince people
to change and one basic intro for those who've decided to jump ship?

>(the earlier meeting proposal was for a real newbie meeting, but it never
>flew)

Oh :) There may not be so many newbies out here right now, but it could grow!

Lisa B.