[TriLUG] Promotions for Installfests

Henryk M.Kowalski kowalski at easternrad.com
Wed May 15 15:14:55 EDT 2002

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 01:30 pm, you wrote:
> If it's done as a special event in different places, it has
> the potential to reach a lot of people of all kinds. Maybe these events
> could be held a few weeks before an Installfest. Possibly if you have
> enough volunteers to talk about Linux, we could set up these informational
> meetings at different places at the same time.

I agree that an outreach program is a good^H^H^H^H great idea.  What you're
suggesting is very ambitious (massive volunteer effort to be able to cover
multiple sites simultaneously)and may be hard to sustain for more than one or
two events.  IMHO what's needed is a lower intensity sustainable effort which
can be held in different locations at different times.

> Yep. This is the kind of stuff I'm talking about. Not dramatically
> anti-Windows, but just some basics to show people that Linux is not scary -
> that you can do similar things as you do on Windows. Then you can perhaps
> tout the customizing features of Linux or throw some productivity stats out
> there. You can also reassure people that they could just try Linux without
> getting rid of their Windows box. Some people may not realize that they can
> do this and it would make them more comfortable to be able to play around
> in Linux without losing anything that they're using now.

Much (but not all) of this can be shown through the TriLUG web site.

> Promotions for this type of stuff would have to be well planned also
> depending on the groups of people that we target getting the information
> to. I just happened to luck up on this list through a round-about way, but
> we should look at the best way to reach the type of people we want to
> reach.
>
> Lisa B.

I agree.

<open_letter_to_membership_and_sc>

One role that TriLUG may want to consider is to be a source of __easily
accessible__ information about Linux.  Linux is a great paradox in some ways
for the new user.  It can be a "guru friendly" OS.  Most things that one may
want to do using Linux are very easy to do _if you know how_.  If you
don't... Good luck!  You have your work cut out for you unless you have a
mentor!  This can be very discouraging to someone just starting out.  Yes,
yes, I know : RTFM.  The problem with this is that you often have to be a
guru to even know which FM to R!. ;)  IMHO, If you truly want to promote
widespread use of Linux then you have to 'put up' with users who are not well
versed in the use of computers in general, including the fine points of
gathering info on the web.   Many people have limited time available to
search for information.  BTW: Asking questions on a mailing list such as this
_is_ intimidating to many people.  In my experience, people are usually
afraid to ask questions they think may be perceived as 'stupid'.

Personally, I believe that in order to be even more successful in the future
TriLUG will need to reach out to the great masses of the un-initiated.  To do
that well ,IMHO, we need a collaborative effort to combine inputs (_written,
detailed_ HOWTOs, etc.) from all the 'gurus' among us with a 'reality check'
from the less experienced users in terms of how 'approachable' the
information is to the new user.  This combined approach will allow _everyone_
to participate.  The work is not 'dumped' on the experienced members only.
Put the resulting documents on the web site.  Make the TriLUG web site the
first place any Linux user, regardless of experience, goes to for an answer.

Once the effort is made (one time) the information remains available
indefinitely on the web site and can be used as many times as needed.

</open_letter_to_membership_and_sc>

My apologies for the long  $0.02   ;)

--Henry