[TriLUG] rsh protocol specs?

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Thu May 16 12:30:36 EDT 2002

On Thu, 2002-05-16 at 12:24, Dana Smith wrote:
> Anyone know where I can get the specifications for the rsh protocol?
>
> And, yes, I already know it's evil. ;-)

Sorry to not answer your question, but I wanted to add something.

Not only is it evil, but it is going away.  OpenBSD is the first major
OS I know of that is aggressively phasing it out.  While OpenBSD tends
to be at the more secure end of the spectrum, they are proving that it
can be done without the internet collapsing upon itself.  I expect some
of the Linux distros to follow in time.

That said, if one is going to make the effort of writing a new program
today that would normally use rsh, it might be a net gain to just bite
the bullet and use ssh from the getgo so it doesn't have to be re-tooled
in two or three years.