[TriLUG] Promotions for Installfests

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Fri May 17 13:34:01 EDT 2002

Uh, I don't think I ever said I didn't want to master the "command line". Au
contraire, I believe I said that since I have used batch files (which I
loved) in the past, I did want to master it. It's a matter of getting the
right approach to learning the command line. The way we learned batch files
(which if you're too young to know what I'm talking about consisted of
small text files containing DOS and small DOS programs to do useful
things--you could create them so sophisticated that you could just walk up
to a computer push one key and have your MSDOS machine do a hundred things
without any other action on your part). We had books (primarily from QUE)
which slowly and gently taught you how to write these things, though it took
time before you could write one which could do the things you wanted to do.
Useful ones were collected, books were written that had the scripts, and by
studying them you were able OVER TIME to do some amazing things. For
example, it's amazing to me that the word processor WORD does not have any
way that I know of to accomplish a word processing action which people do
almost every day (sort ASCII strings alphabetically). Word Perfect used to
have it, but WORD to my knowledge never has. But a simple little DOS program
will do this task in a heartbeat, although it's limited in the size lists it
can sort--the program was called "sort" and it had lots of switches. Then
people got tired of not being to sort very large lists so "sort-f" was
created.
     So, Yes, I do want to master the "command line", but all the tutorials
on it usually leave me in the dust after the first chapter. What's needed is
a simple "command line cookbook"--Mix up these ingredients and it will do
this. Want to burn a disk? Here's the recipe---
Want to play a DVD?? Here's the recipe--- Want to format a floppy? Here's
the recipe--
etc., etc. etc. All I'm saying is you gotta crawl before you can walk, much
less run. And you gotta share your recipes too!! And these recipes should be
collected, published and shared.
Hint: this could be another way for Tri-lug to make some money for pizza!!
Tri-lug's favorite command line recipes published and sold!! --Peace,  Al
Johnson.