[TriLUG] New Local Wireless Users Group Announcement

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Mon May 20 01:25:40 EDT 2002

If you're interested in some "antenna cookbooks", I have several I can
recommend. Antennas can be scaled up or down (assuming the size doesn't get
out of hand--i.e. too large to set up or rotate), but many of them can be
very difficult to construct. There are easy ones e.g. dipoles and J-poles
(which don't have much gain), but the hard ones, e.g. dish and yagi and log
periodic, are the ones with the greatest gain. But you must have excellent
shop skills if you want to build them for the higher frequencies. Every cut
you make must be very precise, or the antenna simply won't work at all or
well. Antennas also react with their surroundings and are very sensitive to
the kind of soil underneath them, the number and kind of trees surrounding
them, and especially to the amount and closeness of other metallic objects
of all kinds. They can be very inexpensive and lots of fun to build, IF you
have the proper tools and good patterns or test equipment.--73, Al johnson
KQ4FP.