[TriLUG] Identity Theft (was Re: Security)

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Mon May 20 12:14:51 EDT 2002

While I know this wasn't a direct reply to me.  I thought I'd clarify.
 I did not mean to say that identity theft wasn't a serious problem, its
becoming one of the top crimes in the country (I forget but I think it
has reached number 2 or 3 behind shoplifting or something like that).
 What I meant was that I don't keep any information about myself in my
desktop that you couldn't probably find online.  I do use online
banking...over SSL.  My wife does keep amount based information on her
computer in a spreadsheet and once upon a time I did my own taxes and
thats on a computer behind me thats not connected to the internet.  My
work computer does connect but via VPN access.  So.... if you're
standing in my back yard accessing my wireless network behind the
firewall, the most serious question on my mind is "what the hell are you
doing in my backyard" I don't really care (other than the possible
annoyance that you might render my computer inoperative).

Now if you steal my palm pilot..then I have a problem.  I'll probably
change my account numbers about the same time I change my credit cards
(I keep it in my wallet)....except...I don't remember the number...its
in my palm pilot.

I do worry about wired security because "script kiddie" in taiwan with
nothing better to do than run scripts to render my computer into some
sort of IRC repeater is far more likely...scratch that....WILL attack
and with no security would render my computer inoperative on a daily
basis.  So in short... I don't really concern myself with such a cutting
edge attack such as standing in my backyard and hacking into my
computer...doesn't happen often enough and it wouldn't be worth my
attackers time.  One day, maybe it will be a bigger threat (and I might
by low tech security equipment like a stun gun to take them out), but at
the moment...*shrug*  I'm far more interested in range.

I do worry about people going through my garbage for account numbers and
am considering creating an advanced kindling program.  (Meaning sticking
all my old bills in the fireplace durring the other 2-3 seasons ;-) ).

-Andy