[TriLUG] Hello from a newbie

Thunder Bear thunderbear at yonderway.com
Tue May 21 12:57:32 EDT 2002

On Tue, 2002-05-21 at 12:47, Mike Helms wrote:

> Just a quick note of introduction from a new member.

Welcome!

> I'm an Application Support Analyst here in Raleigh, and very interested in
> Linux and PHP.  Most of my webapp experience thus far has been in ASP, but
> I'm quickly recognizing the limitations of this technology and am keen to
> embrace the Linux/PHP model of development.  My education is in anthropology
> / archaeology / environmental geology, so I may have a different view than
> some of the more "puritan" geeks, whose advice I will graciously seek.

page for that.

> I am also new to this area geographically - I relocated here from Calgary,
> Alberta (Canada) last December.

Oof.  No offense, but the 'canes are going to send some Canadians home
in cheap pine boxes shortly.  ;-)

> I'm looking forward to getting more involved with this group, and hope
> people will be patient with what I'm sure will be some silly questions!

There is tons of great doc out there, and often the answer to a "silly"
question will be to point you to the right doc.  Even us old timers have
a hard time finding the right piece of doc sometimes.  If you've read
the right doc and still can't figure it out, I think you'll find this
group is very helpful in figuring things out.

How long have you been using Linux now?  And PHP?