[TriLUG] intranet search engine recommendations

Geoff Purdy geoff.purdy at verizon.net
Tue May 21 20:42:25 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-05-10 at 15:43, Jon Carnes wrote:
> I use HTDig and it's what runs on TriLUG, but we do run the full re-index
> every night.  (I'm sure there is a way around that...).  I've also run Namazu.
>
> Namazu seemed to do a much better job with excel and word docs, but it was
> also much more complex to setup.  Plus the docs are translated english, and
> that makes for some head-scatching while you are doing the setup.
>
> Mandrake defaults to using Medusa.  I don't know how far along that is in
> developement, but if Mandrake uses it, it must be promising.

Thanks for the suggestions.  After reading about Namazu, Meduas and
Swish++, I decided to give Swish++ a try since it seemed to have the
most features.  Its performance is reasonably good and it seems to have
all of the features it claims.  Htdig still retains the big advantage of
ease of installation and availability of documentation.  It will be
interesting to keep an eye on how Swish++ matures in future releases.