Debian install (was Re: [TriLUG] Opinions on Redmond / Lycoris)

M. Mueller mmueller at ss7box.com
Thu May 23 11:36:43 EDT 2002

On Thursday 23 May 2002 09:54 am, you wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-05-23 at 08:47, Mike Helms wrote:
> > Every Debian experience I have had thus far has been a bad one.  Buggy
> > installs, buggy bootups, and a horrendous interface that offended all of
> > my sensitivities.
>
> While I would contend that Debian is *not* an example of an easy Linux
> to install, I wouldn't describe it as buggy (I've only installed it on a
> couple of x86 boxes and one UltraSPARC).  But once it is on, it seems to
> be very solid.  Corel did some great work towards improving the
> installer and the interface but sadly they dropped off the Linux map.
>
> > However, that was also about two years ago.  I really should give them
> > another try - after I try FreeBSD, which I have heard nothing but good
> > about.

I tried Debian 13-14 months ago.  Nothing but trouble.  I tried again a
couple of weeks ago and things went well.  Two things changed: me, I've been
banging away at Linux constantly since my first try, and Debian, I tried
2.2r3 last year and 2.2r6 this year.  I am not sure which was responsible for
the change in outcome. To be sure, Debian requires more understanding of how
things work, and that's a Good Thing for humanity.  Hanging out at trilug and
debian user mail lists is a daily reminder that I've got more to learn.

--
Mike Mueller
www.ss7box.com