[TriLUG] RedHat 7.3 on Tyan S2460?

Al Koscielny alko at nc.rr.com
Sun May 26 16:39:55 EDT 2002

I'm trying to install Linux on my new smp box, running a Tyan S2460 with 2
1.3 GHz AMD MP processors.  Redhat 7.3 installs and dies in the postinstall
configuration part. I can get it to install by pulling out the network card
while doing the installation. Mandrake 8.2 will install but will fail on the
updates part at the very end of the installation, so by canceling the updates
part, I can get it to install.

However, when I try to bring the network card up, the box locks up.  There
are no messages in /var/log/messages. I've tried adding the append="noapic"
for the smp kernel.  I think the same thing occurs with the non-smp kernel.

I have W2K installed on the box and I'm able to bring up the network on it.
I've battled with the heat problems and seem to have them under control,
according to the Tyan System Monitor
http://www.tyan.com/support/html/sm_software.html

Is anybody successfully using a S2460 motherboard?

--
Al Koscielny