[TriLUG] Software for Linux newbies

Michael Mueller mmueller at ss7box.com
Tue May 28 12:30:25 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 28 May 2002 11:55, you wrote:

> >Browser/file manager: Konqueror...I know, Mozilla is the closest to a MS
> >platform browser, but I'm in love with Konqueror. In my mind, it's the
> >application that will sell a Linux desktop to a newbie.

I use Konqueror all the time.  If you use KDE, you'll use kmail and then
konqueror.  They are well integrated.  For commerce, however, I  use Netscape
from time to time.  In particular, I've seen problems in Konqueror with
"State" pull-down menus that did not exist with Netscape.  On some crummy
websites, Konqueror will keep resources attached.  To release them, you need
to logout of your KDE session.  With Netscape you close the browser.  At BofA
I need Netscape to print check facsimiles.

It's been argued on this list that if the site doesn't work with Konqueror,
then you shouldn't use the site.  I agree with that line of reasoning to
large degree.  My position is that if a site does not work with Konqueror
then you should assess the risk of using the site with another browser.  I
entirely agree that Konqueror is not the problem and that the website itself
is the problem.  If a newbie with and IE background starts using Konqueror
and finds that websites some sites don't work, the first and erroneous
conclusion is that Konqueror is not working.  Instead, the newbie is being
introduced to a new concept: technically inferior website. Good websites are
not designed for a particular browser.  IMO it's worthwhile to keep Netscape
close by.  In working with both Konqueror and Netscape you'll get a feel for
how the web is being balkanized with browserisms.

What amazes me is that the US and NC government create some websites that
work only with IE or Netscape.  If I remember correctly, the last one I saw
was in a search engine for the US Patent and Trademark office.  This sort of
thing happens when MS trained people are in charge of creating websites.
We're being extended and embraced :-).

--
Mike Mueller
www.ss7box.com