[TriLUG] docbook, technical writing and the STC

Mark Johnson mrj at debian.org
Wed May 29 11:59:49 EDT 2002

On Tuesday, May 28, rpjday wrote:

>   for those interested in technical writing, there is an organization
> called the society for technical communication (www.stc.org).  i'm
> wondering if their mandate extends to things like docbook, xml and
> the like.

I do know that Tri-XML (of which I'm president) and STC will be having
a joint meeting sometime in October or November. The talk will be
about tools for documenting dtds and stylesheets. Some examples of
what I'm talking about can be found at the following links:

DTD documentation generators
============================

  DTDParse
  --------
  (Homepage) http://nwalsh.com/perl/dtdparse/index.html

  (My customized version)
  http://dulug.duke.edu/~mark/docs/dtds/docbook/xml/full/4.1.2/

  LiveDTD
  -------
  http://www.sagehill.net/livedtd/docbookxml41/

  perlSGML (no examples)
  --------
  http://www.oac.uci.edu/indiv/ehood/perlSGML.html

  dtd2html (modified version of perlSGML)
  -------
  http://www.utoronto.ca/webdocs/HTMLdocs/HTML_Spec/xhtml1-transitional/DTD-HOME.html

And an XSL stylesheet documentation generator

  Xsldoc
  ------
  http://www.xsldoc.org/web/example/docsB/index.html

FWIW, Tri-XML has also scheduled (tentatively) a meeting/presentation
for Tuesday, June 18th at Duke at which I'll give a talk on the
DocBook website package - which is simply a customization of DocBook
XML. However, we're still waiting for confirmation for the meeting
venue.

My gut feeling is that the STC isn't very DocBook-centric, but is very
interested in learning more about it.

Mark