[TriLUG] Moving IDE hard drive from one machine to another

P. L. Charles Fischer fischer at pop3.zedec.com
Wed May 29 22:20:40 EDT 2002

To take advantage of the dual P2 you will have to do a kernel rebuild.  I
think Kudzu will take care of the rest.

Good luck
Charles Fischer

At 09:41 PM 5/29/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>All,
>
>I want to move the IDE hard drive containing a good, working RH 7.3
>install from one machine to another. The source machine is a Dell P2/233
>with 256 MB of RAM.  The destination machine is Dell Workstation 400
>(Dual P2/300) with 384 MB of RAM.  This would be the only hard drive in
>the new system for now. I might add another drive later. I know I could
>just reinstall RH on the destination system but I have quite a bit of
>time invested in installing applications on the old, source system.
>There is no important data or settings on the source system if the
>experiment goes bad.
>
>I recall a conversation with a fellow Linux user who had a hardware
>failure in a RH 7.1 machine and moved the IDE hard drive from that
>machine to slightly similar and more powerful hardware.  He claimed that
>Kudzu auto detected and auto configured the Linux install in the new
>box. With that story in mind I post my question to the list.  What do
>you think?
>

>--

>David B. Rankin
>NOVELL CNA, CNE
>MICROSOFT MCP, MCSE, MCT
>Associate Director of Distributed Computing
>University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
>Administrative Information Services
>440 W. Franklin Street
>CB 1150
>Chapel Hill, NC  27599-1150
>Office Phone = 919.962.2435
>FAX Phone = 919.962.0900
>Internet Mail Address = david_rankin at unc.edu
>TriLUG Organizational FAQ:
>    http://www.trilug.org/~lovelace/faq/TriLUG-faq.html

P. L. Charles Fischer                                      fischer at zedec.com
					VOX: 919.465.2306	800.894.0058
ZEDEC Technologies                                         FAX: 919.465.2309