[TriLUG] Business Venture

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Thu May 30 18:07:45 EDT 2002

Avui, Dijous 30 Maig 2002 11:53, no tenieu res mes que fer i me vareu enviar
aquest e-mail
> Hey guys,
>
> Just thought Id tell you what has happened to me this week.  I decided
> to enter a business venture with a friend of mine the goal of this
> business is to manufacture Linux Ready PCs.  Linux Preinstalled and all
> hardware being used is supported by the Linux kernel or drivers are
> available for the hardware devices.

> (...)

> My main question is does anyone know of any
> Linux vendors who are targeting the home user.  If I was doing PowerPC
> computers terrasoft solutions who manufacture Yellowdog Linux has told
> me that they would support me 100%.  So i will either start producing
> PowerPCs and x86 machines side by side.  But if any of you has any ideas
> or thoughts in this matter, any feedback is appreciated.

DISCLAIMER:

Just my thoughts. Do not relate this with my employer whatsoever, those lines
are mine and only mine, I have nothing to do with neither the Titanic nor the
Lusitania, I didn't knew that here it was ilegal, I cannot guarantee that you
will get the same results with your car  etc etc etc

(end of disclaimer)

If you know Red Hat and want home users, go with Mandrake. You can provide
them with manuals and a nice box, just the ISOs or a subscription to
MandrakeClub for support (so you have options for your clients).

You can get tons of RPMs (Mandrake is Red Hat based), urpmi is your friend
(updates, software install)... great for home users.

You can even make the box very "Windows-esque", "Mac-esque" or "hacker-esque"
with a few themes and configuration.

Salut,
Sinner
--
Running RedHat 7.3 on i386smp and Mandrake 8.2-i586
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/