[TriLUG] Graphical Login Help

Paul D. Boyle boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Fri May 31 10:42:51 EDT 2002

Tanner Lovelace wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-05-31 at 10:26, Paul D. Boyle wrote:
>
> > No, there is no automatic login.  It comes up in text mode (actually
> > tty1 is framebuffer terminal while the other tty's are text mode.
> > I can login as mortal user on one of the tty's and do "startx" and
> > I get into X ok.
>
> Oh, in that case, take a look at your /etc/inittab file (assuming
> this isn't a debian system).  Look for a line like:
>
> id:5:initdefault:

That's what it is.  SuSE uses the same run level designators
as Redhat.

Is there some file buried somewhere in the /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/lib
or /etc/X11/ hierarchies at which I should be looking?

Some more detail:  I had placed /opt on a seperate file system
(and different physical disk), and then in the course of fiddling around,
I had given that partition a 'noauto' option.  It was at this point that
I lost the KDM display manager. I undid my 'noauto' stuff, rebooted, but
it never went back to the way it was, despite my efforts to reconfigure
the graphical login with the SuSE tools provided.

Paul

Paul D. Boyle			    |	boyle at laue.chem.ncsu.edu
Director, X-ray Structural Facility |	phone: (919) 515-7362
Department of Chemistry - Box 8204  |	FAX:   (919) 515-5079
North Carolina State University     |
Raleigh, NC, 27695-8204
http://laue.chem.ncsu.edu/web/xray.welcome.html