[TriLUG] Has DNS on RR died?

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Sat Jun 1 11:40:50 EDT 2002

I gotta say dude, between the mail server (which finally seems to be
working) and the DNS, its kinda laughable.
I mean I had a DNS server running on Linux for a few years with no
problem, granted RR gets more volume, but
then again they can probably afford something bigger than an old box of
parts put together.

The mail server obviously suffered from the Windows virus of the day
syndrome and was constantly "out of memory", but
there seemed to be a strong correllation between the viruses I heard
about on CNN or watched trying to attack my webserver
and the RR mailserver being down.

While I understand the requisite amount of Coporate BS, I'm a big fan of
listing the problems, showing a solution and putting it
in front of the right person.  You win a lot more often than you might
think (as long as your not a contractor ;-) ).

I  mean "we're working on it" would mean more if it hadn't been
degrading for a whole year.  While I hate corporate welfare
or giving charity money to poor disadvantage multi-billion dollar
companies, I think this affect enough of us...Maybe this should be a trilug
project ;-) hehe.

-Andy