[TriLUG] Bought my first Laptop--a new Apple Powerbook with OSX--With Linux software in mind I have three questions:

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Mon Jun 3 01:46:46 EDT 2002

I just bought myself a new Mac Titanium Powerbook 667MHZ G4. I'm curious
whether Linux software can be transferred from Linux to Apple's OSX system
(which as you may recall is a version of BSD).

1. Specifically, are there any cross compilers which can take Linux source
code and turn it into programs that will run on Apple's OSX system??

Incidentally, I've discovered that O'Reilly's new OSX book (in the missing
manual series) has a super intro to using the Terminal in OSX for beginners.
I'm told many people consider it better than other attempts to do this for
LINUX, which raises a second question:

2. How portable are Terminal "programs" or "scripts"  between Linux and
OSX??? For example, how many similarities are there between the commands in
OSX and Linux??

Finally, I have one last question:

3. If I wanted to put a version of LINUX on this laptop, which version would
everyone recommend???