[TriLUG] Dumb Terminals?

Reginald Reed reginald at cisco.com
Mon Jun 10 11:58:18 EDT 2002

I've done exactly what you mention as your first idea and it worked
great.  I helped to facilitate a basic Linux class during a NSBE
(National Society of Black Engineers, http://www.nsbe.org) regional
meeting for collegiates at UNC last year.  We used an existing lab and
people telnet'd into my laptop (PIII700, 256M RAM at the time) and ran
various commands, even compiling a few things.  The compilation was
painful on the laptop mainly due to the horrible disk I/O, but
everything worked without a hitch.  A physical server with a decent
processor/ram/disk subsystem would be perfect.

The machines you mention are *way* more than enough.  If all you need is
telnet or ssh, you can fit everything on a single floppy (either DOS
with packet drivers for whatever NIC you choose or a mini-Linux distro).

--Reggie