[TriLUG] Debian logfile rotation question

James LewisMoss dres at lewismoss.net
Wed Jun 12 11:02:06 EDT 2002

>>>>> On Wed, 12 Jun 2002 09:19:10 -0400, Michael Mueller <mmueller at ss7box.com> said:

 Michael> Does anybody know why Debian rotates log files with
 Michael> "savelog" and "logrotate" while RH and Mandrake use only
 Michael> "logrotate"?

 Michael> I see syslogd-listfiles and savelog at heart of
 Michael> /etc/cron.daily/sysklogd.   Are these methods unique to
 Michael> Debian?  I use RH6.1 and Mandrake 8.1 and they do not have
 Michael> syslogd-listfiles or savelog commands.

Afaik (I use msyslog now rather than sysklogd) all debian packages
should be using logrotate now.  But syslogd-listfiles extracts the log
files from a syslog.conf so all the syslog written files get rotated
(since local changes to the syslog.conf file can occur this helps
automate the rotation list).

 Michael> On my RH6.1 systems (slated for migration to Debian)  the
 Michael> logrotate facility is used to in the logrotate script in
 Michael> /etc/cron.daily.  I had to add /etc/rc.d.init.d/syslog
 Michael> restart to get new files handles for the loggers.   The
 Michael> Mandrake 8.1 system is same.  I notice that sysklogd
 Michael> restarts the syslogger and the kernel logger.  It's appears
 Michael> that I have solved a problem the Debians solved in 1998.

Not sure what you are saying here.

 Michael> Is savelog a better logrotate with compressing at cycle 1
 Michael> instead of 0?

logrotate can compress at cycle whatever.  It's a config file
setting.

 Michael> In sysklogd what are the permission changes for in files
 Michael> listed with "syslogd-listfiles --auth"?  -- Mike Mueller

Huh?

Jim

--
@James LewisMoss <dres at lewismoss.org>   |  Blessed Be!