[TriLUG] "upgrade" to mozilla 1.0 via RPM on Redhat 7.3?

Jim Thompson jimstigator at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 13 14:10:08 EDT 2002

Hey gang,

Coming from Debian-land, I'm relatively inexperienced
at some of the features of this whole RPM thing and I
have a stupid question. Here's the desired result: to
"upgrade" redhat 7.3's installation of Mozilla to 1.0
via the published RPMs. I figure this is a pretty
common task and that lots of people are going to try
this.

So I download the whole slew of RPMs from Mozilla.org
and do a "RPM -Uvh *.rpm" and I get a warning message
about failed dependencies with Galeon (which depends
on Mozilla 0.9.x). Being the foolhardy sort, I force
the issue with "rpm -Uvh --nodeps *.rpm". That works
and I now have a shiny new Mozilla 1.0 install.

However, as I expected this breaks Galeon, which now
balks with this error message when I try to start it
up:

"Cannot find mozilla installation directory. Please
set MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME to your mozilla directory."

A little checking shows that /usr/bin/galeon is really
just a script which does a little checking for
MOZILLA_HOME and/or MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME. So, I figure
that everywhere in the script that calls for
'/usr/lib/mozilla/' I'll just set to
'/usr/lib/mozilla-1.0.0/" and I'll be cool. Doing so
does get rid of the warning message about MOZILLA_HOME
but now I just get a plain old "Segmentation fault"
when starting galeon.

I want to say that apt would never allow this to
happen and blame the whole thing on RPM, but I believe
the blame really lies in the stupid user here. Tips
(other than the obvious "you're a moron") would be
much appreciated.

Jim Thompson