[TriLUG] RR and pre-meeting subjects :

Mike Helms Mike.Helms at martinmarietta.com
Fri Jun 14 07:13:55 EDT 2002

Ben,

I worked for an ISP - a cable company, in fact, and know the stresses well.

I have never once complained about RR.  Imperfect as it may be, I accept
that this is relatively new technology doing things coaxial cable was never
originally designed to do.  Ergo, I smile and acknowledge that if the
connection goes down, it's probably just a good excuse for me to go read a
book while things get fixed.

BTW, I *did* work in front line tech support as part of my tenure with Shaw,
and I can say from experience that the vast, vast majority of people who
called in to bitch about a "terrible connection" didn't have the faintest
clue what they were talking about.  My favorite were the "Microsoft
engineers" and "Unix administrators" who didn't know what an IP address was.
Typical conversation went like this:

Mike: Thank you for choosing Shaw, this is Mike speaking.  How may I help
you this afternoon?

Idiot: Yeah, uh, my email has been down since yesterday afternoon, when will
you guys have this fixed?

Mike: Let me check, sir.  <pause>  Sir, I'm not showing any reported outages
on the mail server, and I'm able to connect to your mail server ...

Idiot: <interrupts me> Look, I haven't been able to do anything with my
email since yesterday, and I know it's not my systems.

Mike: Sir, let me do one quick check.  Can I confirm your address as 123
Anywhere St ... (we had call display on our phones, so by this point in the
conversation I had their entire account in front of me).

Idiot: Yeah, that's it.

Mike: <pause> Sir, I'm not getting a ping response from your computer ...

Idiot: <interrupts me again> Yeah, I'm running a firewall.

Mike: OK, let's try pinging the mail server from your end so we can figure
out if your network is even seeing our network.  You'll first need to click
on Start and Run ...

Idiot: <interrupts> Look, I'm a Microsoft Certified Turbocharged
Super-Intelligent Holy Blessed Engineer, I don't need step by step
directions.

Mike: OK, what are your stack settings?

Idiot: <long pause> Ummmm....

Mike: As I was saying.  Let's click on Start and Run.

Idiot: OK.

Mike: Type CMD and hit enter.

Idiot: OK.

Mike: Type PING mail.shawcable.com and hit enter, and let me know what it
says.

Idiot: <pause> Unknown Host.

Mike: Can you do anything with the Internet?  Can you surf or anything?

Idiot: No.

Mike: Well, sir, here's what I'm seeing from this end.  I get a perfect
response from your cable modem, and have even rebooted it from this end.
Signal levels are perfect, signal to noise ratio is perfect, so I don't
suspect this is an issue with the connection itself.  I have no reported
outages and I'm able to connect to your mail server no problem, so this
would appear to be something with your home network.

Idiot: <in a fit of rage> Look, asshole, I'm a Super Engineer and have been
networking computers for 50 years, and you can't tell me that my network is
failing.  I want to speak to your boss.  I do computers for a living!

Mike: Sir, my boss will be the first to tell you that I work with computers
for a living too.  I *am* telling you that it's your network.  Now, if you
want to unplug your network from the modem and plug one Windows box directly
into the cable modem, we can get the connection up and running on that one
machine to prove that it is not the connection.

Idiot: Yeah, and if that works, are you gonna send someone out to fix my
network?

Mike: No sir, we only support the connection to the first computer.  Any
networking beyond that is your responsibility.

Idiot: You know, for every hour that this connection is down, I lose $500
per ...

Mike: <interrupts> Sir, I'm sure you are familiar with the Acceptable Use
Policy that you were given when you signed up with the high speed internet
service, and you will remember that Shaw is not liable for any direct or
indirect losses incurred as a result of the service going down.  I will also
remind you that this is an entertainment level home service.  Now, if you
have a business - particularly one making as much money as your business is,
I should refer you to our our sister company, Big Pipe, that can provide T1
level service for a nominal fee of about $1500 per month.  Given that you're
making about $500 per hour, I would think that three hours worth of your
time for a business class connection would benefit your business
considerably.  Would you like me to have a representative from Big Pipe get
in contact with you?

Idiot: Um, no, I'll take another look at my network.  Do you think it could
be the Linksys router that I'm running?

Mike: It very well could be.  Like I said, I'm not getting a ping response
from this end, which is most likely the router in that case.  You might also
want to check the PC light on the front of your modem to make sure that the
modem and the router have a hardware connection.

Idiot: OK.  So there's nothing wrong with the mail server?

Mike: No, sir, I just logged in an it's showing me you have 55 messages
waiting.  <half of them are receipts from buying porn site subscriptions.
Snicker snicker>

Idiot: Uh, OK.  Bye.

Mike: Have a good afternoon, sir, and thank you for calling.

Cheers everyone,
-- Mike