[TriLUG] port forwarding

Chris Merrill cmerrill at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 14 15:48:05 EDT 2002

I am going to transition my current firewall/web/mail/ftp/server
to a new hardware box.  The old P-120 just doesn't have enough
juice anymore.

Since I only have a few hours to dedicate here and there...I was
wondering if I can set the new box up behind my exiting firewall
and replace the services one at a time.  For instance, once I have
Apache configured on the new box, forward port 80 on the firewall
to port 80 on the new box.  Eventually, when all the services are
configured and operating, then I disconnect the old firewall from
the cable modem and connect the new one...for a painless transition.

Questions:
1. Is there a better way to approach the problem?
2. Is "port forwarding" the right term for this?  After doing
    a quick google and finding the IPChains HOWTO and several
    other docs, I got a litte confused about the terminology.
3. Is IPChains the tool for this?  If not, what is?
    The existing firewall is running RH7.  The new firewall
    is running our shiny new copy of RH7.3

TIA,
Chris

Chris Merrill