[TriLUG] internet connection with modem

Sanjeev Rathore intmail2002 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 14 17:38:38 EDT 2002

I would like to connect my RedHat Linux computer to the internet.  Here are my configuration files.

/etc/syslog.conf
local2.*   /var/log/ppp
daemon.*   /var/log/ppp

/etc/resolv.conf
domain world123.net
nameserver 208.138.2.100

/etc/host.conf
order hosts, bind

/etc/nsswitch.conf
hosts: files dns

/etc/sysconfig/network
NETWORKING=yes
HOSTNAME='snowhite'

/etc/ppp/options
lock
crtscts
defaultroute
noauth

When I execute this command from the prompt:
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 57600 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat  -v '' AT OK ATD7195295 '\d\c' "
The response is:
pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
send (AT^M)
expect (OK)
AT^M^M
OK
-- got it
send (ATD7195295^M)
expect (CONNECT)
^M
ATD7195295^M^M
CONNECT
-- got it
send (\d)
Serial connection established.
Using channel 2
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/ttyS1
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
Connection terminated.
Hangup (SIGHUP)
Exit.
I suppose that means that everything is fine and the ISP wants to do authentication.

When I execute this command from the prompt:
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/ttyS1 57600 debug connect "/usr/sbin/chat -v '' ATD7195295 CONNECT '' ogin: 5684webxcs assword: webxcs"
The response is:
pppd 2.4.1 startup by root uid 0
send (ATD7195295^M)
expect (CONNECT)
ATD7195295^M^M
CONNECT
-- got it
send (^M)
expect (ogin:)
33600^M
c^M8q^\#0v^X^G^?Cgn^?... etc.
alarm
Failed
Connection script failed
Exit

This appears to tell me that there is something wrong with the script, but I don't know what.
I am using US Robotics 56K external modem. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what the problem could be.

Thanks,
Sanjeev Rathore