[TriLUG] "upgrade" to mozilla 1.0 via RPM on Redhat 7.3?

Sinner from the Prairy sinner at escomposlinux.org
Sat Jun 15 04:29:40 EDT 2002

A Dijous 13 Juny 2002 06:1018pm, Jim Thompson va escriure:
> Hey gang,

Hi there

> Coming from Debian-land, I'm relatively inexperienced
> at some of the features of this whole RPM thing and I
> have a stupid question. Here's the desired result: to
> "upgrade" redhat 7.3's installation of Mozilla to 1.0
> via the published RPMs. I figure this is a pretty
> common task and that lots of people are going to try
> this.

You want RPMs? You like apt? Then, you should try Mandrake and check out
urpmi (a tool like apt)

> So I download the whole slew of RPMs from Mozilla.org
> and do a "RPM -Uvh *.rpm" and I get a warning message
> about failed dependencies with Galeon (which depends
> on Mozilla 0.9.x). Being the foolhardy sort, I force
> the issue with "rpm -Uvh --nodeps *.rpm". That works
> and I now have a shiny new Mozilla 1.0 install.

Never, never, never, under any circunstance, use "nodeps". If you do,
you'll have troubles. For sure. No, no kidding.

> However, as I expected this breaks Galeon, which now
> balks with this error message when I try to start it
> up:

> "Cannot find mozilla installation directory. Please
> set MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME to your mozilla directory."

Galeon versions go in hand of Mozila versions. You must have both with
relating versions or else.

> I want to say that apt would never allow this to
> happen and blame the whole thing on RPM, but I believe
> the blame really lies in the stupid user here. Tips
> (other than the obvious "you're a moron") would be
> much appreciated.

Usualy, the problem lies between the keyboard and the chair.

> Jim Thompson

Salut,
Sinner
--
http://www.ibiblio.org/sinner/     Linux User # 89976
Running on Mandrake 8.2 - Kernel  2.4.18-6mdk     Linux Machine # 38068