[TriLUG] seeking hardware advice...

Robby Dermody robbyd at avalonent.org
Sun Jun 16 22:16:23 EDT 2002

I just skimmed your needs and suggested configuration and have a few points:

For your situation, the Geforce 4 is overkill, a Geforce 2 should work fine.
You might also want to look for multihead support on your video card, since
any kind of heavy work (image/sound editing, programming, etc) can benefit
greatly from two displays, but that's just my opinion.

With the money you save from the video card, get a better/bigger HD. I have
a WD 1200JB (8MB of cache) and it SCREAMS (not as fast as the 15,000 RPM
SCSI drives I've used, but close :). You will want that or the IBM deskstar
120GXP (beware of the problems in the deskstar chain). I've always had bad
luck with WD drives (I've had 4 or 5 Caviar drives die on me), but I decided
to get them another chance with this one, we'll see how it goes. In short,
you wont regret a big, fast hard drive. I wouldn't worry about RAID in that
case if you have the WD 1200JB, unless you're really worried about data
redundancy and want to mirror the drives. If that's the case, I'd prefer a
hardware raid controller, but it will cost you $$$, plus the cost of the
extra drive(s). :)

Don't go with no name brand memory, get Crucial, Mushkin, etc. No-name
hardware is a waste of time and it's worth spending $20 more for a
name-brand. With computer hardware, you get what you pay for.

If you're doing all that image editing and have the desktop real estate and
won't be moving the box around much, I'd get a CRT. LCDs still can't compete
with a CRTs image quality and you get the most screen real-estate for the
buck. CRTs are heavy and bulky though, so it's a personal preference past
that.

I don't know how good that soundcard is, but I'd probably get a SB Live or
better. (I have one and I had problems with a quadraphonic setup under linux
but they should have fixed that by now.) If you're doing sound work, I'd
look for a good SN ratio and possibly position the sound card as far away
from the other cards to minimize EMI (noise). Hey, slashdot had an article
awhile back about a motherboard with vacuum tubes on it for the sound. From
what I heard ICs (integrated circuits) still can't beat vacuum tubes in
terms of output quality, you might want to look into that, just do a search
on "vacuum tube" on slashdot.

As far as DVD RW goes, I think they haven't standardized on that yet (a
friend said they wouldn't until the blue laser technology got in them or
something, I don't stay up to date on this new hardware stuff (???)). I
usually stay away from technologies with two or more competing standards
because one or both is set to go the way of the dinosaurs (i.e. the two 56k
modem technologies, VHS/betamax, DVD/DiVX, etc).

Just my two cents, good luck with the system!

Robby