[TriLUG] Sun's new "Big Bear" Cobalt LX50

Andrew C. Oliver acoliver at apache.org
Thu Jun 20 09:39:57 EDT 2002

>Interesting article.  I see that Sun is releasing their own Linux
>distribution.  Makes me wonder if it's really good that we have so many
>competing, different distributions.  Isn't the myriad number of
>distributions a stumbling block compared to Microsoft, which offers a
>couple of versions but generally the same software for everyone?  If you
>need to install a new program on Windows... there's no mystery how to do
>it.  But for Linux, installing new programs involves different methods
>based on distribution (ie, apt/dpkg, up2date/rpm, etc.) -- and people who
>learn one method must relearn when they switch distros.  I wonder what the
>Linux community can do to solve this?

Hummm.
Windows XP .NET Server (coming soon)
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Home Edition
Windows CE .NET
Windows XP Embedded
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server

did I leave one out?

(this is just the current versions --
note that 2000 Advanced Server and Datacenter don't have XP equivilents
announced yet that I can tell...perhaps
.NET Server will replace them, perhaps not)

For more information:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/WinHistoryIntro.asp

And there are BTW other licensed distributions of Windows.  If I recall
TRW and others make a more-processors and
bigger memory version of MS Windows.

.NET is supposed to help solve this.

-Andy