[TriLUG] StarOffice and UPG strangeness

Janyne Kizer janyne_kizer at ncsu.edu
Thu Jun 20 16:35:16 EDT 2002

Samba is not installed.  The cron jobs might be a good workaround.
Thanks!

This is what is going on.  All of the users have their UPG and many of
them are also in a "staff" group.  Members of the "staff" group have a
shared directory.  When people save files from vi, pico, nedit, gimp,
etc. to the shared directory, the group is set to shared just as it
should be.  If they save the file to their home directory, the group is
set to their UPG.  If they open FILE1.TXT from their home directory,
edit it and then decide to save it to the shared directory, FILE1.TXT is
given the "staff" group as it should be -- UNLESS the file was opened
from their home directory with SO an then saved to the shared
directory.  In that particular case, the file has the same settings as
it did in the home directory.

Note the test_after.doc file below.  It was created with SO and saved in
my home directory.  It was then reopened and edited and then saved to
the shared directory.

-rw-rw-r--    1 wkme    staff          63 Jun 20 14:05 nedit2test
-rw-rw-r--    1 wed23   staff          39 Mar 28 08:06 newfile.txt
-rw-rw-r--    1 ets     staff          15 Mar 29 14:11 test2.doc
-rw-rw-r--    1 wkme    wkme         7680 Jun 20 14:16 test_after.doc
-rw-rw-r--    1 wkme    staff        2551 Jun 20 13:46 testing123.jpg