[TriLUG] why run open source OS on oddball old hardware? (LONGDIATRIBE)

John Franklin franklin at elfie.org
Fri Jun 21 12:25:09 EDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 12:33:02PM -0400, William W. Ward wrote:
> Otherwise, what are the most physically large computers that some variant of
> Linux has been adapted to that you've bought on E-bay, scrounged from
> salvage or been gifted as part of a corporate cleanout?  Any of them with
> the requisite blinky lights in quantity?

I know some BSD flavors can run on a VAX 11/780.  These things look like
a row of half-height refrigerators and IIRC require three-phase power.

Sparc Linux should be able to run on an E10k which typically takes up
the better part of a rack once you include all the SCSI controllers and
drives that make the E10k worth the price.

jf
--
John Franklin
franklin at elfie.org