[TriLUG] why run open source OS on oddball old hardware?

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Fri Jun 21 13:02:30 EDT 2002

On 21 Jun 2002, Thunder Bear wrote:

> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 12:34, John Franklin wrote:
>
> > They were option cards that were available with certain Performa, Quadra
> > and PowerMacintosh models.  If the machine shipped with the option, it
> > usually had "PC Compatiable" or something like it printed on the front.
>
> OK I probably don't have any of those then.  I didn't see any labels
> like that.  Though I do have some quadras & powermacs which appear to
> have a tv tuner card in them.  Wonder if they are linux compatible.

You probably don't have any of the cards down in the basement, as the
cards were pricy and therefore uncommon when they were new, but you've
likely got a machine or two the cards would work in. There's one new in
box for $20 on ebay right now, too. I always liked that they included
a video out on the PC card so you could start a task on the PC and switch
over to doing something else on the Mac, watching the second (PC) monitor
to see when it was done.

--
Steve Burnett    burnett at pobox.com   http://www.pobox.com/~burnett/
System Administration Technical Documentation Information Retrieval