[TriLUG] Vexing CD Burning Problem

Brian Daniels bitmage at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 21 14:22:46 EDT 2002

On Fri, Jun 21, 2002 at 02:06:59PM -0400, Paul D. Boyle wrote:
> mkisofs -r -o <cd_image.iso>  <my_data_dir/>

First off, I would suggest taking a look at x-cd-roast
(http://www.xcdroast.org/).  It makes burning much easier.

> Problem #2:  I can't understand why drives of type (d) can't read these
> CD's.  I have tried data I have burned on a blanked CD-RW, a virgin
> CD-RW and a CD-R.  The CD-RW disks were 4x-10x disks while the CD-R was
> a 1x-8x Kodak Ultima disk.  Drive (d) can mount and read a disk which
> was burned by a a software vendor.  When the failure does occur with my
> home burned disks, I get a scsi time out error from the ide-scsi module
> and I basically have to hit the 'reset' button to get the errors to stop
> scrolling on the console.

You are burning the cd's correctly.  Not all cd drives can read CD-RW
disks.  Some very old cd-rom drives even have trouble with CD-R's.

They can all read the pressed discs that come from a manufacturer.  CD-R
and CD-RW use different methods to record data and different laser
frequencies.

If you need the disc to be readable on as many systems as possible, burn a
CD-R (not RW).  This still won't help you with pure DVD drives or very old
cd-rom units, but should work everywhere else.

--Brian

 --

Anything you can imagine (and many things you can't),
someone on the net is doing.

Brian Daniels                  bitmage at bellsouth.net
      http://www.eviloverlord.net