[TriLUG] Hardware needs for TriLUG cluster

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Fri Jun 21 17:49:32 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 15:08, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 15:56, Ed Hill wrote:
>
> > How about a Symbios SYM22801?  I have a spare and it has two external
> > and four internal connections (though I understand that they can't all
> > be used at once).  Also, the external connectors are of the mini-SCSI
> > variety and I don't have any cables for them...
>
> Hey, that's a google whacker! :-)

Ok, cool...  ;-)

> Actually, 2 external connections could come in very handy.  I think
> if you have more than 4 scsi devices on a bus you have to limit your
> cable length to less than 1.5 meters.  If you keep it to 4 or below
> you can go up to 3 meters.  Since we have 2 scsi cables in the
> box, we could hook up the drives to two different buses and
> avoid that limitation.

I found a PDF detailing it and its a PCI 2.1-compliant device that
should work with Linux.

So would TriLUG actually use it?  Having two external connectors is cool
but they are of the "mini" type and you'll have to find the right
wiring.  If it will get used, I'll be happy to box it and send it out
tomorrow morning.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD