[TriLUG] Ham Radio Field Day

Tanner Lovelace kb4tye at wayfarer.org
Sat Jun 22 00:53:20 EDT 2002

Hi folks,

I thought there might be a few people on this list that might be
interested in this.  The fourth weekend of June every year is
designated as a "Field Day" for Amateur Radio (Ham Radio).
Field day is designed to test radio operators ability to
operate under "emergency" conditions.  (i.e. batter powered,
non-permanent antennas, etc..).

Even if you are not a ham radio operator, Field Day can
be an interesting exercise.  One of the big things this
year is that groups are being encouranged to have a
station for people who have never been on the air before.
This way, even if you don't have a license, you can come
out an learn more about ham radio, and perhaps even
make some contacts. :-)

I know there are groups in Raleigh and Cary that are probably
organizing something (Al, can you tell us about the Cary group).
I don't have their information, but for those who are in
Durham, here's the information about what the Durham FM Association
is doing.  Sorry about the late notice, but it just now occurred
to me that this might be of interest.  (Which is unusual, since
Linux and ham radio is a natural match since each allows you the
freedom to create your own stuff.)

Anyway, if anyone has any questions, please feel free to e-mail me.

Tanner Lovelace
Amateur Extra Class Licensee
KB4TYE