[TriLUG] Can open source solutions be viable companies?

John F Davis johndavi at us.ibm.com
Fri Jun 28 11:17:34 EDT 2002

Ok that brings to mind my one and only contact with the human genome
project.  I met this lady in a TCL class in San Jose who was working on the
human genome project.  She had
a piece of equipment which had a robotic arm that picked up samples
arranged on a grid and did things to them.  What she did, I didn't
understand.  But, I understood the bit about controlling the machine.  The
machine had a TCL interpeter embedded in its control board so that you
could automate it.  The lady was had a Phd in Genetics and not programming
but she talked about running simulations as
well.  I don't know if she did the programming for the simulation or used
someone else's program.  Maybe the program was written in C and she just
entered the numbers.

She could have used Windows or Linux to create her TCL files for
downloading to the machine.  I would venture to say she would have a easier
time doing the development with TCL.  ie. TCL is cross platform, but the
windows version has some differences which she may not want to work around.
The linux box would have a wealth of better tools which are present from
the very beginning.

Here is a quick  table outining the advantages/disadvantages of both
platforms.

                        Windows                       Linux
TCL environment         most likely not as similar to her robot   most
likely similar
(ie. paths, new lines)

C compiler in case            Visual C++ (the $ in M$)
Free
she wanted to build
a simulator

Serial Console                Hyperterm (yech!)                   Minicom,
kermit, etc.
(I'm assuming it
used a serial console.
It could have actually
had a network interface.)

Various tools                 VBScript? (yech!)             Perl, awk,
split, bash, etc.
for building reports.

Sharing work with       ????                          Most like use a Unix
OS already.
other researchers

JD

"Vestal, Roy L." <rvestal at rti.org>@trilug.org on 06/28/2002 09:40:41 AM