[spam score 2/10 -pobox] [TriLUG] Linux Support Position

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Jun 28 12:06:19 EDT 2002

On Friday 28 June 2002 10:07 am, William W. Ward wrote:
> It is, after all - of supreme importance to have a bachelors degree to
> change the tapes in your DLT library.  Let me tell you, that bastard is a
> tricky animal to figure out.  All that work in Econ 200 was necessary to
> properly understand how to set up the little graphics in Unicenter.
>
> -b-

While the knowledge gained in college can "sometimes" be a bonus, the
reason folks hire a college graduate is the level of maturity and
commitment they are supposed to have displayed by earning the degree.

The type of degree is an indication of a persons interest (or commitment in
the face of dis-interest for those folks with Accounting degrees...).  If
they are going to be working in an IT environment, it helps maintain their
commitment if they have an interest in computer science.  Especially while
they are doing such mundane tasks as changing tapes in a DLT library....

Most folks will overlook the absence of a college degree if that person
can display other evidence of their maturity, commitment, and ability to
learn.

Jon (Physics degree from NC State) Carnes